Call to intensify search for missing trekkers
The trekkers have asked the government to ban solo trekking.
Due to rise in the number of missing trekkers in recent years, we want the government to put a ban on solo trekkers, Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN), said here today.
Addressing a press meet organised on behalf of the families of missing trekkers by the association here today, president of TAAN Ramesh Dhamala said that solo trekking might be exciting but it is full of risks.
Families of Aubrey Caroline Sacco of US, Zisimos Souflas of UK, Matthews Allpress of Australia and Debbie Maveau of Belgium were present at the press meet.
Aubrey is missing since April, 2010 after she checked into Langtang National Park, while Zisimos was last seen in Namche Bazaar on April 23, 2012 and Matthews Allpress has gone missing since November 3, 2013 from the Annapurna Region. The decapitated body of Debbie was found in the Langtang Region in June, 2012.
"Nepal´s topography is difficult," he said, requesting trekkers to take at least one support staff with them while trekking or mountaineering. Dhamala also said TAAN and the government has introduced Trekkers’ Information Management System (TIMS) to ascertain whereabouts of trekkers.
Likewise, families of Aubrey Caroline Sacco, Zisimos Souflas and Matthews Allpress also requested government officials, security agencies and travel trade entrepreneurs to intensify search for their missing sons and daughters.
Aubrey’s mother Connie Sacco said that her daughter is missing for the past four years. "We have been coming Nepal to meet concerned stakeholders and urge them to intensify search for my daughter,” Sacco said, requesting the government and security agencies to do the needful for trekkers.
Similarly, Margaret Allpress, on the occasion, narrated his son's story before he went on missing. "He was on solo trek to Dudhpokhari in Lamjung after completing the Annapurna Circuit Trek," he said, adding that his son informed them on November 3 from a guesthouse in Sikles. "He said he would be out of contact for 9-10 days as he was heading toward Dudhpokhari and that he would back to catch flight to Sydney on November 14." But since then he is missing.
Likewise, Zisimos’ mother Pauline also urged government officials and security agencies to help her find their son. Zisimos has gone missing since April 23, 2012 from Namche Bazaar in the Everest Region. He was heading to the Everest Base Camp.
Devos Rudy, step father of Debbie Maveau, who was found murdered in Langtang in June 2012, was also present on the occasion.